Michael Moore‘s latest offering was missing conspicuously from the list of the 15 films that will be eligible for Academy Award nominations that were announced Wednesday, Nov. 18.
Moore’s “Capitalism: A Love Story” was among those titles overlooked by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. “Capitalism” explores the far-reaching effects of corporate dominance on America and thus the world, essentially taking his original documentary “Roger & Me” set in Flint, Michigan to a national and even global scale.
A fan favorite, “Anvil! The Story of Anvil,” didn’t make the cut either. The film followed the career trajectory of a Canadian heavy metal band. Also missing was “Tyson,” a portrait of boxer Mike Tyso by James Toback.
The Michael Jackson rehearsal concert film “This Is It” was not eligible to run in the documentary category, but might be a contender for best picture.
The 15 documentaries that did make it:
- “The Beaches of Agnes,” Agnès Varda, director
- “Burma VJ,” Anders Østergaard, director
- “The Cove,” Louie Psihoyos, director
- “Every Little Step,” James D. Stern and Adam Del Deo, directors
- “Facing Ali,” Pete McCormack, director
- “Food, Inc.,” Robert Kenner, director
- “Garbage Dreams,” Mai Iskander, director
- “Living in Emergency: Stories of Doctors Without Borders,” Mark N. Hopkins, director
- “The Most Dangerous Man in America: Daniel Ellsberg and the Pentagon Papers,” Judith Ehrlich and Rick Goldsmith, directors
- “Mugabe and the White African,” Andrew Thompson and Lucy Bailey, directors
- “Sergio,” Greg Barker, director
- “Soundtrack for a Revolution,” Bill Guttentag and Dan Sturman, directors
- “Under Our Skin,” Andy Abrahams Wilson, director
- “Valentino The Last Emperor,” Matt Tyrnauer, director
- “Which Way Home,” Rebecca Cammisa, director
Nominations will be announced on Tuesday, Feb. 2. The Oscars will be televised live from Hollywood’s Kodak Theatre on Sunday, March. 7.
In other Oscar news, for the first time Hamish Hamilton will direct the Academy Awards telecast. His live show directing resume includes the “MTV Video Music Awards,” the “MTV Europe Music Awards,” numerous live concerts including U2 and Christina Aguilera. He’s also been tapped to direct the upcoming Super Bowl XLIV half-time show in February.
Follow Zap2it on Twitter for the latest TV, movie and celebrity news.