Spider-Man is going to regress.
The “Spider-Man” film franchise is getting a reboot, and this means a big shake-up for those involved in the first three films.
“Peter Parker is going back to high school when the next Spider-Man hits in the summer of 2012,” reads a tweet from the official Sony Pictures Twitter account Monday (Jan. 11).
The post comes on the heels of Nikke Finke’s story that “Spider-Man 4” has been scrapped, with director Sam Raimi and Tobey Maguire out.
Apparently, the recent creative differences caused Raimi to have second thoughts about trying to abide by Sony’s schedule. As Zap2it previously reported, the director and studio have been fighting over which villains to cast.
“Working on the Spider-Man movies was the experience of a lifetime for me,” said Raimi in a statement that was later issued by Sony. “While we were looking forward to doing a fourth one together, the studio and Marvel have a unique opportunity to take the franchise in a new direction, and I know they will do a terrific job.”
“A decade ago … when we began, no one ever imagined that we would make history at the box-office and now we have a rare opportunity to make history once again with this franchise,” said Amy Pascal, co-chairman of Sony Pictures Entertainment. “Peter Parker as an ordinary young adult grappling with extraordinary powers has always been the foundation that has made this character so timeless and compelling for generations of fans. We’re very excited about the creative possibilities that come from returning to Peter’s roots and we look forward to working once again with Marvel Studios, Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin on this new beginning.”
The new film, aiming for a 2012 release, will be based on a script by James Vanderbilt that focuses on a teenage Peter Parker. Sony promises additional details in coming weeks as they prep for production.
Although loyal Raimi fans will be disappointed, going the reboot route has proved recently successful with the Batman and Star Trek franchise reboots.