“One Tree Hill” tips its hat to the late, great filmmaker John Hughes in this low-on-plot but high-on-charm episode.
Since nothing actually happened, we’re going to play “Spot the Reference” in place of our normal full-blown recap. Ready? Let’s go!
John Hughes movie references:
- Opening montage set to “Don’t You Forget About Me” – The Breakfast Club
- Everyone forgot Haley’s birthday – Sixteen Candles
- Junk & Fergie make Mouth the perfect woman online – Weird Science
- Jamie is left home by himself – Home Alone
- Nathan and Clay try to get home by any means possible – Planes, Trains & Automobiles
- Brooke tears apart a dress and makes it into another one – Pretty in Pink
- Clay’s ex-blonde bimbo gets drunk, gets her hair stuck in a door and has to get it cut out – Sixteen Candles
- Nathan appears next to a red sports car – Sixteen Candles (Mmm…Jake Ryan)
- Haley and Nathan kiss over a birthday cake – Sixteen Candles
’80s character costumes:
- Julian as Duckie from Pretty in Pink
- Alex as Sloane from Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
- Alexander as Crockett from Miami Vice
- Haley as Samantha from Sixteen Candles
- “I feel bad, man. I love bacon, and I love pork chops, and I love ham, you know? But then I met you. And now I’m conflicted.” – Clay, to a pig
- “If you ever hurt her, I will hunt you down across the Outback, and I’m not talking about the steakhouse. Although, I will hunt you down there as well.” – Julian, to Alexander
- “Please tell me you didn’t kill that nice lady and steal her car, because there’s no way I can spin that.” – Clay, to Nathan
What did you guys think of the tribute? Did I miss any references and/or ’80s character costumes?
Photo credit: The CW