Pilot season may have had its busiest casting day yet on Monday (Feb. 22), with actors ranging from Emmy winner Jane Kaczmarek to Jim Belushi to Olivia Munn landing roles.
Among the other names on the casting sheets: Adam Arkin, Leah Remini, Zeljko Ivanek, Romany Malco and Wayne Knight. Here’s a rundown:
– Former “According to Jim” star Belushi is switching to drama in the CBS pilot “Defenders.” He’ll play one of a pair of larger-than-life defense attorneys in Las Vegas, the showbiz trade papers report. Niels Mueller and Kevin Kennedy (“The Assassination of Richard Nixon”) wrote the script and will executive produce with director Davis Guggenheim, “CSI” exec producer Carol Mendelsohn and Joe and Harry Gantz.
– Kaczmarek (“Raising the Bar,” “Malcolm in the Middle”) and Arkin, late of “Sons of Anarchy,” will star in ABC’s comedy “Who Gets the Parents?,” according to The Hollywood Reporter. They’ll play a long-married couple who decide to split, much to the chagrin of their adult kids — two of whom will be played by Derek Richardson (“Men in Trees”) and Andrew West (“Greek”).
– Munn (“Attack of the Show”) will play half of one of NBC’s “Perfect Couples,” the HR says. The comedy from “Friends” veteran Scott Silveri and “30 Rock’s” Jon Pollack will look at three relationships in various stages.
– Former “King of Queens” star Remini will star in “It Takes a Village” at ABC. She’ll play a divorced mom who joins forces with her ex and their respective new partners to raise their teenage son.
– Ivanek (“Damages,” “Heroes”) and Ian Anthony Dale (“Day Break”) have joined the cast of “The Event,” a drama about a guy (Jason Ritter) caught up in a conspiracy to kill the president. Dale will play a government agent who helps out Ritter’s character, and Ivanek will play the head of the CIA.
– Malco (“Weeds”) is joining Michael Chiklis and Autumn Reeser in ABC’s family-with-superpowers drama “No Ordinary Family,” the HR says. He’ll play Chiklis’ best friend.
– CBS’ Ant Hines/Larry Charles comedy is saying “Hello, Newman” to Knight (“Seinfeld”), who’s joining Nicollette Sheridan in a show about a father who re-enters the life of his famous daughter.
Elsewhere: Ben Koldyke (“How I Met Your Mother”) will star in NBC’s comedy “This Little Piggy”; Kaitlin Doubleday (“Cavemen”) won a lead role in FOX’s “Most Likely to Succeed”; Taran Killam (“Nobody’s Watching,” “Scrubs”) will join Sarah Chalke in ABC’s “Freshmen”; Kelli Garner, Julian Morris and Daniella Alonso will star in ABC’s drama “Generation Y”; Malcolm Goodwin (“American Gangster”) has joined FOX’s “Breakout Kings”; and D.J. Cotrona (“Skin”) has been cast in “187 Detroit” at ABC.
Photo credits: ABC, TNT