Zap2it’s weekly “Dispatches from Inside the ‘Idol’ Dome” brings
like you (and us) closer to all the action. What didn’t viewers see on
the TV broadcast? We got it covered.
Did Usher’s performance look as crazy on TV as it did in person? Find out what else you missed behind the scenes.
Idols in the house
- Michael Johns, a finalist from Season 7 of “American Idol,” was in the house with his beautiful wife Stacey. He was rocking a fedora and had two kids with him, though he doesn’t have kids, so maybe nephews? He also signed some autographs for two adorable kids that looked to be about 9 and 6 years of age.
- Another kind of Idol was there … we mean of course the inimitable Wendy Williams. As promised, she was rocking the jeggings and a blindlingly sparkly top. She also had on maybe the biggest wig we’ve ever seen her wear. During one commercial break, Wendy and Ellen took some time to dish. Must be a talk show sorority thing.
We could’ve sworn Siobhan was going home…
- The entire time she was onstage, Siobhan Magnus looked incredibly despondent. She barely clapped, she looked miserable. We thought for sure there was some behind-the-scenes shenanigans wherein she knew she got the boot.
- Conversely, Didi Benami (who actually went home) looked to be having ball, so go figure?
- During Didi’s aired montage, Katie Stevens bolted out to center stage and gave Didi a big hug. Siobhan and Crystal followed suit, all the girls seemed sad to see her go.
- There was also a group hug that Tim Urban sort of missed out on, but not because he’s a jerk. He’s just a wiggly little puppy who was off chasing a butterfly or something.
- When they aired the “Idol”-meets-“Clash of the Titans’ commercial at the top of the hour, the entire place (judges included) cracked up hard at the “Release the kraken” joke in regards to Simon. Well played, marketing department. Well played.
- Speaking of cracking up … when Randy went to that weird incest-y place with Aaron Kelly about singing to your parents if you’ve never been in love, Simon lost his mind with laughter. Did they show that on TV? Because it was a sight not to be missed. Slumped over on the judges’ table, shoulders shaking. Really great.
The Velvet Teddy Bear returns
- After Ruben’s performance, all the judges swarmed him, with Randy and Simon giving him big hugs. That’s a really nice thing to see.
- When Kara came out from behind the the judges’ table, it turns out she was absolutely rocking a silver mini-dress and stilettos. You go, Kara.
The Ringling Bros. and Usher & DM circus
- This was too much. There was smoke and lights and six female dancers performing in such a way that I felt I should shield the eyes of the little girl sitting next to me. There was dancing and noise and screaming. It was too much! Usher ran through it twice and by the second time through, we were completely shell-shocked.
- Is it just us or was Diddy Dirty Money the most pointless performance ever? Also, we hope nobody in the audience has a seizure disorder, what with the amount of strobe light used. Aren’t they required to warn us about that crap? We thought for sure some Bieber fan’s grandpappy was going to have a stroke or something. (It turns out there was a warning for the TV broadcast about the strobelight. All of us from the live show audience are relieved you care so much for the fans at home.)
Speaking of Bieber, he was there tonight to perform and all the details are in their very own Bieber-licious post.
Photo credit: FOX