Reports about the cancellation of “Law & Order” say it had to do with creator Dick Wolf and NBC being unable to reach financial terms for a record-breaking 21st season.
NBC executives aren’t commenting on that, but the network does say that ending the original “L&O” and at the same time putting a new iteration of the franchise on the fall schedule — that’d be “Law & Order: Los Angeles” — is about the “overall health” of the brand.
“We had been talking to Dick Wolf about ‘LOLA’ for several months,” NBC Entertainment president Angela Bromstad says. “… This is the decision we’re going with.”
“LOLA” is scheduled for 10 p.m. ET Wednesdays in the fall — the same timeslot that the “L&O” mothership occupied for much of its run. It will pair with “Law & Order: SVU” for a two-hour, bicoastal block of crime solving.
Bromstad deflected questions on Sunday (May 16) about whether the end of “Law & Order” was about money. “It’s time to move forward,” she says. “It’s about the future and reinventing the brand, and about the overall health of the franchise for the company.”
The first script for “LOLA” — written by “Brotherhood” creator Blake Masters — is nearly finished, and Bromstad says news about casting should come in the next few weeks. (NBC’s deal with Wolf stipulates that his projects go straight to series, which is why there’s no pilot yet.) It’s not clear yet whether any past “L&O” characters might pop up on the new show.
Fans of the original “Law & Order” may get a chance to say goodbye to the show beyond the May 24 finale. Bromstad says NBC and Wolf are talking about some kind of wrap-up movie or “special event,” but nothing is definite yet.
Photo credit: NBC