Shattering expectations, “Jackass 3D” pranked its way to a $50 million opening weekend. Critics wondered if fans would still be interested in watching Johnny Knoxville and Steve-O get shaken up in a port-a-potty 10 years after the TV show debuted on MTV… but the fans were interested, and they flocked to theaters in droves.
Given the movie’s relatively small $20 million budget, this is a hell of a coup for Paramount and MTV.
Many were also surprised at the success of “Red,” given that it’s a PG-13 film that skews older, featuring stars like Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, and Helen Mirren. Ticket sales rose significantly from Friday to Saturday, indicating good word-of-mouth.
Those computer geeks from Oscar-buzzed “The Social Network” fell to number three, followed by “Secretariat” and “Life as We Know It” rounding out the top five.
]]>The full top 10 is below.
1. Jackass 3D – $50m – $50m
2. Red – $22.5 m – $22.5m
3. The Social Network – $11m – $63.1m
4. Secretariat – $9.5m – $27.5m
5. Life As We Know It – $9.2m – $28.8m
6. Legend of the Guardians – $4.2m – $46m
7. The Town – $4.0m – $80.5m
8. My Soul To Take – $3.1m – $11.9m
9. Easy A – $2.6m – $52.3m
10. Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps – $2.3m – $47.8m Follow Zap2it and @cadlymack on Twitter and Zap2it on Facebook for the latest TV, movie and celebrity news. Photo: Paramount