Aerosmith frontman/”American Idol” judge Steven Tyler called in to NBC’s “Today” show Thursday (Oct. 27) morning to explain how he ended up falling in a Paraguay hotel shower.
“I started to get sick, and I just fell on my face. I just passed out,” Tyler tells Matt Lauer, explaining that he was the victim of a bad case of food poisoning.
“It was the second show in South America and it just so happened — what’s it called when you eat something? Montezuma’s revenge,” he continued. “I walked with the Incas for 48 hours — I walked in looking like Baryshnikov and walked out looking like Leon Spinks.”
(No, we have no idea what he means about walking with the Incas. Perhaps a tour?)
Tyler was also anxious to point out that the nasty spill — he ended up with four stitches above his eye and a knocked out tooth — was not the result of drug or alcohol abuse.
“I get that people think that,” he said. “It still bothers me a little, but it’s something that I have to deal with for the rest of my life.”
Tyler was in Paraguay to perform with Aerosmith — the show did indeed go on, just one day late.