“American Idol” is back in a two-night premiere event Wednesday, Jan. 18 and Thursday, Jan. 19 and we are pumped. Forget those other singing shows, we’ll take our old favorite. Here are eight fun things to look forward to during the two-night premiere:
- There’s a kid in St. Louis who looks like an Abercrombie model and sounds like a soulful blues singer and a current artist at the same time. He takes on Sam Cooke’s “Change is Gonna Come,” which is no easy feat, and he slays it. His baby blues are going to be very popular.
- A kid who once beat Scotty McCreery in a vocal competition sounds like a young Michael Jackson. Like, exactly like a young MJ. We’re kind of sad his audition song is not “I’ll Be There” or “I Want You Back.” He also looks about 12 years old.
- Steven Tyler gets an “approval face” montage, which is not dirty in the slightest and actually rather hilarious.
- Tyler then gives his approval face to a 16-year-old girl who sings “Sunday Morning” with the purest, most beautiful tone. We hope to see her a long time.
- A guy from Wisconsin obviously reads Zap2it, as he auditions with the “Family Matters” theme song. We’ve been pushing for a TV show theme song night for years (we even got Andrew Garcia to sing one for us and, guess what, it was “Family Matters”).
- Steven Tyler also talks about being “moist,” which is dirty, and then there is a montage of him kissing lots of girls, including someone’s grandma. The grandma is totally pumped, though, which makes it adorable.
- Someone actually auditions with “How Am I Supposed to Live Without You” by Michael Bolton, which we’re pretty sure we haven’t heard since Kelly and Zack broke up at the prom.
- And some auditions are held on the USS Midway, which means the sounds of planes taking off and landing, and ferrys docking are going off constantly during auditions. One ferry even manages to bleep Steven Tyler’s profanity with its horn.
Are you ready, “Idol” fans? It’s back Wednesday night at 8 p.m. ET/PT on FOX.