Better get your tissues ready, Gleeks: “Glee” is going to be a tearjerker this week. Zap2it screened “The Break Up” ahead of its Thursday, Oct. 4 premiere, and we can assure you that yes, it’s really, really sad.
You can tell from the song list alone: a super-sad piano version of “Teenage Dream,” an emotion-packed rendition of “The Scientist” and many more. Titled “The Break Up,” the episode deals with relationship troubles between several of our main couples. Because the episode was so emotional and touching, we don’t want to give too much away. But here are a few things we can share about the show:
1. There will be more than one breakup. Yes: We can confirm that more than one but fewer than all of the established couples on the show will not be together by the end of the episode.
2. Some relationships are left up in the air. Relationships are complicated, and certain problems aren’t immediately solved with a breakup. We’ll see in future episodes how the people in question deal with a major crisis in their coupledom.
3. You will cry. Seriously, this is heartbreaking stuff. You need to know that “Glee” is going to be really sad this week, y’all.
4. The veteran cast members have never been better. Lea Michele, Cory Monteith, Darren Criss and Chris Colfer in particular do some great work this week. (No, that is not a spoiler as to who breaks up and stays together. It’s just a fact.)
5. The new kids are there too. In case you forgot after last week.
Any theories on what happens during the episode? What do you absolutely NOT want to happen? Don’t drive yourself crazy with out-of-context conspiracy theories. The episode will be best enjoyed if you go in expecting nothing (except that you’re going to cry a lot).
“Glee” airs Thursdays at 9 p.m. on FOX.