Debuting the first weekend of the holiday season, Walt Disney’s video game-themed family fare “Wreck It Ralph” won the Box Office weekend, raking in $49.1 million — nearly 40% of total ticket sales for the weekend. Voiced by John C. Reilly and Sarah Silverman, the film’s budget was $165 million so there is considerable ground left to cover.
Also opening this weekend was Denzel Washington‘s “Flight,” in which he plays a pilot who is found to have alcohol in his system after navigating his plane out of danger.The R-rated movie grossed an estimated $25 million in its first three days, and generated plenty of award-show buzz in the process.
The other significant debut of the weekend was Universal’s “The Man With The Iron Fists.” Led by Russell Crowe and Lucy Liu, the film opened with $8.2 million — failing to beat “Argo,” in its fourth week. The full Top 10 is below, with weekend gross followed by total gross.
- Wreck-It Ralph, $49.1 million, $49.1 million
- Flight, $25 million, $25 million
- Argo, $10.2 million, $75.9 million
- The Man With the Iron Fists, $8.2 million, $8.2 million
- Taken 2, $6 million, $125.6 million
- Cloud Atlas, $5.3 million, $18.2 million
- Hotel Transylvania, $4.5 million, $137.5 million
- Paranormal Activity 4, $4.3 million, $49.5 million
- Here Comes the Boom, $3.6 million, $35.5 million
- Silent Hill: Revelation 3D, $3.3 million, $13.9 million