The CW still wants its “Hunger Games.”
The network has ordered — or re-ordered, since it was also developed last year — a pilot for “The Selection,” a “Hunger Games”-esque drama based on novels by Kiera Cass. A pilot filmed last year didn’t make the cut for this season, but The CW kept the rights and asked writers Elizabeth Craft and Sarah Fain (“The Shield,” “The Vampire Diaries”) to retool the script.
“The Selection” is about a young woman chosen to take part in a competition to win the heart of a prince and become a war-torn country’s next queen. Aimee Teegarden (“Friday Night Lights”) played the part in last year’s pilot.
More news from an extremely busy couple of days in pilot season:
– CBS has formally greenlit its “Beverly Hills Cop” adaptation, which stars Brandon T. Jackson as the son of Axel Foley (Eddie Murphy, who will guest-star in the pilot and is an executive producer).
– Also at CBS, crime drama “Backstrom” from “Bones” creator Hart Hanson and comedy “Friends with Better Lives” from writer Dana Klein (“Friends”) are a go.
– The CW has also ordered “Company Town” from writer/EP Sera Gamble (“Supernatural”) and Taylor Hackford (“Ray”). It’s set at a Navy base in Virginia and focuses on the base/townie divide as represented by two young women.
– ABC has ordered three dramas and a comedy. “Venice” is a soap about two families vying for control of the California beach community, with a Romeo-and-Juliet love story complicating matters. “Betrayal” is about a woman caught between her husband and her lover as the two men are on opposite sides of a murder case. “The Returned” follows people whose dead loved ones suddenly come back to them. The comedy, “Pulling,” is an adaptation of a British series about three women still trying to figure out their lives. “The Office” scribes Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky are writing it.
– NBC has added another comedy pilot to its already extensive roster. “Welcome to the Family” comes from Mike Sikowitz (“Rules of Engagement”) and centers on a Latino family and a white family who are brought together when their kids fall in love.