Christian Slater is giving TV another go, joining Steve Zahn in ABC’s drama pilot “Influence.”
The show, from Kyle Killen (“Awake,” “Lone Star”), is about two brothers who run an agency that applies lessons in psychology and motivation to get its clients what they want. Slater’s character is a smart and charming ex-con just out of prison after serving time for fraud. Zahn, his brother, is a genius who brings the science to their venture.
Slater has fronted a few TV series in recent years, but none has broken through. He was most recently on FOX’s canceled-revived-then canceled again comedy “Breaking In.”
More pilot casting:
– Minka Kelly (“Friday Night Lights,” “Charlie’s Angels”) has joined the cast of J.H. Wyman‘s robot-cop show at FOX. She’ll play an LAPD officer in a future where human cops are paired with lifelike androids. [Deadline]
– “MADtv” alum Stephnie Weir will play Ellie Kemper‘s mom in NBC’s comedy “Brenda Forever.” Weir is less than 13 years older than Kemper, but the show does include flashbacks to the main character’s teenage years, which makes the casting go down a little easier.
– Chilean actress Lorenza Izzo will star with John Stamos in “I Am Victor,” playing a defense attorney opposite Stamos’ divorce litigator. [Hollywood Reporter]
– Also at NBC, Ryan Eggold (“90210″) has signed on to “The Blacklist” as the husband of a young FBI agent (Megan Boone) who’s handling a dangerous asset for the bureau.
– Jenny Slate (“Saturday Night Live,” “Bored to Death”) has joined June Diane Raphael as one of the three leads in ABC’s comedy “Pulling.” The third role is still up in the air following Mandy Moore’s departure from the show last week.
– Comedy veteran Martin Mull (“Roseanne,” “Sabrina the Teenage Witch”) will star with Tommy Dewey and Peter Riegert in Seth MacFarlane‘s live-action FOX comedy “Dads.” He plays Dewey’s father and reluctant new roommate.