Joe Jonas, middle child of the famous Disney stars band The Jonas Brothers, just gave an incredible sit-down interview with Vulture — it’s an absolutely fascinating read. He touches on everything from smoking pot to losing his virginity to the band breaking up to his various relationships, including being so worried about his brief girlfriend Demi Lovato when she was struggling with her various issues.
Here are some highlights:
- “I believe in God, and that’s a personal relationship that I have, but I’m not religious in any way.”
- “Everything [with the band] completely changed when Disney entered the picture. … We’d hear execs talking about [Vanessa Hudgens], and they would tell us that they were so proud of us for not making the same mistakes, which made us feel like we couldn’t ever mess up. … We were frightened little kids.”
- “The topic that dominated news coverage of us for a long time was the whole promise-ring thing … back then, we explained that we had made these promises to ourselves when we were younger. A few months later, it comes out that we’re in some cult and that we’re these little staged Mickey Mouse kids. … We decided to take the rings off a few years ago. I lost my virginity when I was 20. I did other stuff before then, but I was sexually active at 20. I’m glad I waited for the right person, because you look back and you go, ‘That girl was bats*** crazy. I’m glad I didn’t go there.'”
- “I genuinely don’t have any resentment against any of my exes. So I’m not going to disparage anyone I was in a relationship with … I don’t feel the need to do that to sell records.”
- “One relationship that meant a lot to fans was the one I had with Demi Lovato, who I’ve known for years. … I really got to know her and got to see the ins and outs of what she was struggling with, like drug abuse. I felt like I needed to take care of her, but at the same time I was living a lie, because I wasn’t happy but felt like I had to stay in it for her, because she needed help.”
- “The first time I smoked weed was with Demi and Miley. I must have been 17 or 18. They kept saying, “Try it! Try it!” so I gave it a shot, and it was all right. I don’t even smoke weed that often anymore. … Now I appreciate wine or a vodka-soda at the end of the day every once in a while.”
- “The Jonas Brothers’ breakup was going on for a lot longer than a lot of people thought. We hit a place where we just weren’t jelling on the same things … the whole situation was breaking us up as a family. … Things came to a head when we had a meeting where we thought we were going to talk about how to release our new music and it ended up shifting into this huge fight. That was the first time we were really honest with one another about a lot of stuff we weren’t happy with.”
The interview is really good — it’s long, but worth the time.