News from all over TV:
– The Starz adaptation of “Outlander” has added Simon Callow (“Four Weddings and a Funeral,” “Doctor Who”) to its cast. He’ll play the Duke of Sandringham, an “opulent and flamboyant” nobleman who maintains his hold on power through a variety of alliances. “Outlander,” an adaptation of Diana Gabaldon‘s novels, comes to Starz in 2014.
– “Mob City” drew a smallish mob of viewers to TNT Wednesday night (Dec. 4). The premiere of TNT’s miniseries averaged 2.3 million people, below the typical audience for the channel’s other original series.
– Former MTV VJ Kennedy has a new show … on the Fox Business Network. Kennedy (full name: Lisa Kennedy Montgomery) will co-host “The Independents” with Matt Welch and Kmele Foster. The roundtable show premieres Dec. 9 and will air Monday through Wednesday each week.
– “Saturday Night Live” regular Nasim Pedrad, Elliott Gould and Seaton Smith will be part of FOX’s upcoming comedy “Mulaney,” starring former “SNL” writer John Mulaney. All three were attached to the show when it was first developed at NBC, but their status became uncertain when it moved to FOX. The show has also added Zack Pearlman (MTV’s “Inbetweeners”) to its cast. [Variety]
– Esai Morales (“Caprica,” “Magic City”) will play the president of the United States in HBO’s political comedy pilot “The Brink.” The show also stars Tim Robbins, Jack Black and Pablo Schreiber as three men affected by a political crisis. [Deadline]