There have been some rumors recently that hit period drama “Downton Abbey” is ending after next year’s fifth season, but executive producer Gareth Neame tells Zap2it there is absolutely no truth to those rumors.
“That was totally invented by the British press, totally made up. Completely untrue,” Neame says. “There are no plans to end the show.”
In a statement Neame adds that ITV, the British network that produces “Downton Abbey,” commissions each season “on a year-by-year basis” and that ITV has only commissioned the show through the fifth season so far. The production team is busy working on Season 5 now.
“We start filming Season 5 in about five weeks’ time,” Neame tells Zap2it. “We’re working heavily on the episodes now. [Creator] Julian [Fellowes] has written the first four episodes, I’ve been working hard on those with him. Right now we’re honing them ready for production.”
So, can he tease anything about what’s to come in Season 5?
“No,” Neame says with a laugh. “Not when Season 4 has only just started [in the U.S.].”
“Downton Abbey” airs Sunday nights at 9 p.m. ET/PT on PBS.