George RR Martin Getty Images

They say when one door closes, another one opens and we guess that’s true in any world — even the mystical, magical realms of George R.R. Martin.

As the sun sets on “Game of Thrones” and its final two seasons, another of George R.R. Martin’s fantasy series is being eyed for television. The “Wild Cards” series — though much less popular than “A Song of Ice and Fire” — is perfectly primed for TV, and the rights have recently been acquired by Universal Cable Productions.

RELATED: ‘Game of Thrones’ EPs, HBO ‘open to’ spinoff: Here are 4 possibilities

With shows like “Mr. Robot,” “Battlestar Galactica,” “12 Monkeys” and “The Magicians” under the UCP umbrella, we can expect this “Wild Cards” adaptation to be just as hardcore as its HBO counterpart “Game of Thrones.”

It’s a post-apocalyptic story

BFaZVGr

The premise of the novels is based on a post-WWII world, in which an alien virus was released, killing 90% of the world’s population and mutating the DNA of the remaining 10%. Most survivors develop crippling conditions, and are named Jokers. The final 1% of the population, however, develop superhuman abilities, earning them the name Aces.

Like ‘Game of Thrones,’ there’s no main character

game of thrones realize they all died A guide to George R.R. Martins Wild Cards series

“Wild Cards” is an anthology series, following a huge host of characters who happen to share the same universe. Oftentimes their stories intersect and interact, but if you’re looking for a main character, you’re going to be very disappointed.

Jokertown is where the Jokers live

giphy 79 A guide to George R.R. Martins Wild Cards series

Jokertown is the name of the ghetto created to house the 9% of the population who didn’t become wildly powerful and famous from their mutations. It’s a bit of a rundown neighborhood in the heart of New York City, but it sounds like all they need is a Daenerys Stormborn character to swoop in and start making things right.

They have a Trump virus

JnMjpOA4t0YYU

No, no, not that Trump. In an attempt to counteract the effects of a first virus, a new treatment was produced called the Trump virus. Unfortunately, it got a small success rate, a higher rate of doing absolutely nothing and terrifying rate of killing the patient, making it a pretty terrible option. Ironic, no?

Dr. Tachyon will likely be a character

d3b0b2d70d4325df0a0872f1c361ad62 A guide to George R.R. Martins Wild Cards series

As a part of the alien race who dropped the experimental virus on Earth, you’d expect Dr. Tachyon to play a pretty convincing villain, but he’s actually a pretty decent character. He tries to stop the virus from being dropped on the planet and, when that doesn’t work, he stays to help deal with the fallout.

George R.R. Martin won’t be giving input

George-RR-Martin-GIF-1444689843

Because of his exclusive deal with HBO, Martin can’t be included in the development or writing process for this new show. Honestly, we’re not too upset about that. After-all, the series was technically written by over 30 different authors. Maybe one of them can pitch in?