Welcome to “Abby’s Ultimate Dance Competition” Season 2. We’ll confess to being an Abby Miller show virgin, so we can only imagine the stage mom shenanigans that are in store for us because who doesn’t like to see grown women who never realized their dreams scream at overly made-up little girls and boys.
The show starts with the 11 dancers who will compete, rather than making us sit through cattle call auditions, so that’s nice. Each week has a themed challenge that is based on a skill, but this first week’s theme is “fame” and features no particular skill. Abby wants to see ALL the skills.
It’s a darn shame they are not actually dancing to “Fame” — their moms do wanna live forever, after all. But we do like Abby channeling her Larry from “A Chorus Line.”
Trinity wins the opening competition and gets to pick two people to dance with her in the style of Beyonce. She chooses Chloe and Ally. The other kiddos will dance in the style of Michael Jackson (Tyler, Haley and Sarina), Madonna (Kalani, Gianna and McKaylee) or Gene Kelly (JoJo and Travis).
In the end, Gianna falls down during her routine, while Haley struggles with some basic moves and Sarina forgets the moves. Abby Lee and her co-judges are in the middle of critiquing when Sarina’s mom Sharon blames the choregrapher and that rubs Abby the wrong way, so Sarina is sent home.
Abby doesn’t say that’s the reason, but you’d have to think that didn’t help.
Meanwhile, Jessalyn and Tiffany are obviously going to be at odds all season, because it’s a case of Tiffany thinking her daughter Ally is so much better than everyone else and Jessalyn’s daughter JoJo looking like she just stepped off “Toddlers and Tiaras” and Jessalyn acting as such.
Here are some of the bets lines of the night:
- “Remember what we’ve been through. We’re not here to make friends. We’re here to win. … It’s us against the world.” — Melanie
- “I’d say it’s my mission in life to make JoJo a star.” — Jessalyn
- “Travis is gonna have to out-shine JoJo and I don’t think that’s gonna happen.” — Jessalyn
- “Stop! You gotta stop being a nervous wreck! … We are not getting out, Haley. OK?” — Melanie.
- “Cute helps, but cute is not enough to stay in this competition.” — Abby
- “People hate on me. It’s because I know they’re jealous of me. Whatever they want to call me, I know they’re wrong.” — JoJo
- “Mom, this is the professional dance community. You don’t throw the choregrapher under the bus and blame them.” — Abby
What did you think of the Season 2 premiere of “Abby’s Ultimate Dance Competition”?