After Now and Then night for the Top 5 on “American Idol,” the results show featured performances by judge Jennifer Lopez herself plus a performance from country trio Lady Antebellum.
The results are one of those shenanigans where here’s one group (James Durbin, Haley Reinhart) and here’s another group (Lauren Alaina, Jacob Lusk) and they make the nicest Idol pick the group that’s safe (Scotty McCreery). Obviously, James and Haley were Top 2 and Lauren and Jacob were Bottom 2. Lauren is a mess waiting for the verdict, but she has nothing to fear as Jacob goes home.
Here are some highlights along the way:
- The group sing “Happy Together” and it’s …. oof. Gimme the delinquents from “Ernest Goes to Camp” any day.
- “Be Yourself” is the call for the Ford Music Video and then there’s a “Hell’s Kitchen” segment, which is kinda funny. Lauren Alaina’s omelet wins the competition, with Jacob coming in second.
- Lady Antebellum was on hand to perform their new single “Just a Kiss.” It was OK, but it didn’t grab me the way “Need You Now” did, or even “American Honey.”
- There’s a filler segment about song choice that tells us absolutely nothing, but the wardrobe segment is kinda funny.
- The second part of the “Hell’s Kitchen” competition is between Jacob and Lauren doing blind taste tests. Lauren wins. It’s dumb, they should’ve quit while they were ahead.
So did the right person go home? We think so. And we actually aren’t too bothered by a Top 4 of Haley, Lauren, James and Scotty. Did you know that’s the first Top 4 to have more than one female since Jordin, Melinda, Blake and Lakisha in Season 6? Wow.