Some exciting news for “Archer” fans out of the 2014 TCA press tour panel — Kenny Loggins is guest-starring as himself and will record a duet with “Cherlene,” Cheryl/Carol’s new country music persona.
The duet is Loggins’ 1986 hit “Danger Zone” (!), with the video for it premiering during episode 6 on Monday, Feb. 17. The song will also anchor the “Archer” soundtrack, titled “Cherlene,” which will feature three original “Archer” songs — “It’s All About Me,” “I’ll Burn it Down” and “Gypsy Woman.”
Other songs on the soundtrack include “Chattahoochie Coochie Man,” “Midnight Blues,” “Straight to Hell,” “40 Miles of Mountain Road,” “Swing Shift” (formerly titled Coming Round Again), “Cherlene’s Broken Hearts & Auto Parts” (formerly titled Broken Hearts & Auto Parts), “East Bound & Down,” “Baby Please Don’t Go” and “Danger Zone.” All are produced by Kevin Kinney and feature vocals by Jessy Lynn Martens, with Loggins joining on “Danger Zone.”
Executive producer Matt Thompson
teases that almost every episode this season will feature Cherlene
singing a song as part of her burgeoning country music career.
Judy Greer, who voices “Cherlene” on the show,” says she did not want to do the singing — “Because I want people to like the music.”
Other fun tidbits to come out of the panel presentation:
– “Malory is kind of untethered. She’s so used to be in charge of this agency … and now she kind of doesn’t really know what’s going on. She’s kind of directionless, I want to say, until late in the season when she kind of puts herself back together.” — Thompson
– “Archer is enjoying the fact that he’s basically become like a drug dealer. Selling cocaine and getting involved in the ‘Miami Vice’ lifestyle. He wants a pet tiger, that’s his biggest goal.” — Thompson
– “We do have an awesome, awesome baby shower for [Lana]. Kenny Loggins is
involved. … He plays a really terrible, terrible, b****** version of
himself.” — Creator Adam Reed
– “In the final episode, Lana will deliver her baby in a Central American jungle and Archer will be there to deliver the baby with her.” — Reed
– Thompson: “Pam gets highly addicted to cocaine, like right off the bat.”
Reed: “But as food, she makes it into pudding and frozen yogurt and whipped cream. She doesn’t actually snort it or inject it, she eats it.”
– Guest stars include Ron Perlman, Gary Cole, Christian Slater and Fred Armisen.
“Archer” airs Monday nights at 10:30 p.m. ET/PT on FX.