Murphy died on Dec. 20, 2009 after she collapsed on the bathroom floor of her home. Although a coroner’s autopsy pronounced her death a natural one caused by pneumonia and anemia, her husband, Simon Monjack, died only five months later from seemingly the same causes.
Now Murphy’s father, Angelo Bertolotti, has gotten tissue testing done that indicates poison was a likely cause of death (as reported by LAist). Ten heavy metals were found in the samples, all in significantly higher amounts than would have been expected. The report indicated foul play might be involved: “The only logical explanation would be an exposure to these metals (toxins) administered by a third party perpetrator with likely criminal intent.”
Since Murphy and her husband both experienced poisoning symptoms before their deaths, Bertolotti and Murphy’s mother, Sharon Murphy, have long claimed that some outside source was a factor. The parents settled with builders of the couple’s home over an issue of toxic mold.
In addition to her famous role on “Clueless,” Murphy was best-known for her voice work on “King of the Hill” along with roles in multiple films.