Lara Logan, the chief foreign correspondent for CBS News, was the victim of a sexual assault while covering the situation in Egypt last week.
CBS says Logan — who a week earlier had been detained by Egyptian authorities — was attacked on Friday (Feb. 11), the day Egypt’s president, Hosni Mubarak, stepped down. She and her crew were in Cairo’s Tahrir Square (as pictured above) recording the scene for “60 Minutes” when “she and her team and their security were surrounded by a dangerous element amidst the celebration,” the network says in a statement. “It was a mob of more than 200 people whipped into frenzy.”
Logan got separated from her crew, the network says, and was subjected to “a brutal and sustained sexual assault and beating” before a group of women and Egyptian soldiers saved her.
She returned to the United States on Saturday and checked into a hospital, where she is recovering. CBS says it won’t make any further comment on Logan’s condition and says she and her family “respectfully request privacy at this time.”
We hope she recovers quickly.