If you were looking forward to either of the previously announced projects set to focus on Hillary Clinton, then today is not your lucky day. Within mere hours of one another, both CNN and NBC announced they’d scrapped their plans.
CNN was the first to reveal that they’d canceled their documentary about Clinton on Monday (Sept. 30), telling Politico that director Charles H. Ferguson backed away from the controversial project. “Charles Ferguson informed us that he is not moving forward with his documentary about Hillary Clinton,” CNN Worldwide spokesperson Allison Gollust says. “Charles is an Academy Award-winning director who CNN Films was excited to be working with, but we understand and respect his decision. [W]e won’t seek other partners and are not proceeding with the film.”
In a blog post on The Huffington Post, Ferguson explains that pressure from both Clinton aides and supporters and the Republican National Committee led to a serious drought of potential sources and interview subjects.
“When I approached people for interviews, I discovered that nobody, and I mean nobody, was interested in helping me make this film,” Ferguson writes. “Not Democrats, not Republicans — and certainly nobody who works with the Clintons, wants access to the Clintons, or dreams of a position in a Hillary Clinton administration. Not even journalists who want access, which can easily be taken away.”
Just a few hours later, NBC announced that it was scrapping its planned miniseries, as well. “After reviewing and prioritizing our slate of movie/miniseries development, we’ve decided that we will no longer continue developing the Hillary Clinton miniseries,” the network said.
The mini, which was to star Diane Lane, faced the same scrutiny from the Republican National Committee as CNN, leading Fox TV Studio, the planned producer, to back out in August.
Are you disappointed that the Clinton projects will never come to be?