The opening moments of Thursday’s (Feb. 2) “Grey’s Anatomy” establish that the alternate reality we see for the rest of the show is all in Meredith’s (Ellen Pompeo) head. Which, apparently, isn’t the most logical place in the world.
You can watch the full first act of the episode, “If/Then” (it’s about 9 1/2 minutes), above. Meredith’s imagined world establishes that:
– Ellis Grey (Kate Burton) is not only still alive, but also not suffering from Alzheimer’s, is the chief of surgery at Seattle Grace and is married to Richard (James Pickens Jr.).
– Meredith is the product of a stable, two-parent household and happily just engaged to Alex (Justin Chambers), who wears glasses and is super-positive.
– Kepner (Sarah Drew) is Meredith’s go-to person, because everybody hates Cristina (Sandra Oh). Also, Kepner is in love with Charles (Robert Baker), who didn’t die in the hospital shooting rampage that may or may not have happened. Does that mean Mandy Moore is still alive too?
– Derek (Patrick Dempsey) and Addison (Kate Walsh) are still married and expecting a baby, but Derek doesn’t seem too happy about it.
– Also married: Owen (Kevin McKidd) and Callie (Sara Ramirez).
– Maybe because Ellis Grey is such a force of nature, Bailey (Chandra Wilson) is a total wallflower.
There’s even more to digest, but we’ll stop there. Watch the video and let us know what you think — do you like the alternate reality “If/Then” sets up?