While Gandolfini played countless memorable characters on TV and film during his career, but there’s one role that will forever be synonymous with the actor — that of Tony Soprano.
“The Sopranos” ran on HBO from 1999 to 2007, earning its leading man the Primetime Emmy Award for outstanding lead actor in a drama series and Screen Actors Guild Award for outstanding performance by a male actor in a drama series both three times over. As crime boss and family man Tony Soprano, Gandolfini is an indelible part of television history.
Here’s a look at some of Gandolfini’s best moments in the HBO series that catapulted him to legend status:
1. Tony kills FBI informant Fabian “Febby” Petrulio while on a college trip with daughter Meadow
2. Tony and Carmella face off
3. Tony kills Big Pussy
4. Tony cries while watching “The Public Enemy” after his mother Livia’s death.
5. Tony tries to kiss Dr. Melfi
6. Tony’s final moment with Uncle Junior
7. Tony whacks Christopher
8. Tony’s speech to the family
9. Tony tries to quit therapy
10. Of course, the series’ final scene