“The Real Housewives of Atlanta” launched its fifth season Sunday (Nov. 4) with a nearly fireworks-free premiere — except for the antics of newcomer Kenya Moore. However, even without Shere� Whitfield, who departed the show after last season, there were plenty of surprises and promises of drama to come.
1. NeNe and Gregg are dating. NeNe Leakes‘ ex-husband has got more than his sexy back — he and NeNe might be reconciling. As the “New Normal” star (girl’s gone Hollywood) tells showrunner Ryan Murphy (who first cast her for a guest spot on “Glee”), “dating my ex-husband is sorta kinda my new normal.” (NeNe’s not quite as big-time as she thinks: Trying to impress Murphy, she calls Tyler Perry, only to discover the number she had was disconnected. Is that Shere�’s cackling we hear?)
2. Kandi Burruss has a new boyfriend. The R&B singer met TV producer Todd Tucker while filming the “RHOA” trip to Africa. (You remember, the one where the ladies wore stilettos on safari, complained about flies and ignored the wildlife?) After dating for about a year, the couple bought a house together — a McMansion that, if you ask Kim Zolciak, is in a dangerous hood.
3. Kim rehired her awful assistant, Sweetie. Even though she’s lazy and unreliable, apparently Sweetie’s the only one who can handle Kim’s crazy, especially now that she’s pregnant with her and husband Kroy Biermann‘s second child. But Kim needs all the help she can get: She’s being evicted from her house.
4. Phaedra Parks is expanding mortuary business to include animals. “I want to be the Vera Wang of funerals,” she says, while promoting her services to a mortified veterinarian.
5. Newcomer Kenya Moore is a rude, crude diva: When Cynthia Bailey invited the former Miss USA to help judge a JET magazine casting call, the celebrity-only-in-her-own-mind humiliated the models with insults like “I’m not trying to be a mean girl, but why are you here?”; “Is this strip-club JET, or regular-club JET?” and “How do you come to an audition showing your coochie crack?” She then enlisted her personal bodyguard (!) to remove Cynthia’s assistant, Carlton, who was criticizing her appalling behavior. Cynthia herself was surprisingly passive during Kenya’s antics, but we expect (hope) that will change as the season progresses.
What do you think of “Atlanta’s” new cast member? Do you miss Shere�?