But that’s what they got this time. No one seemed to enjoy it much.
At the camp
For the most part, this installment of camp life involves a great deal of moaning (some of it from poor Irene). They also drink vodka. The more important events are:
- The idea of putting Irene out of her misery is floated — and then championed by Biljan.
- Sabina disappears briefly and then returns with her stash of food and clothing. She later leads some of the others to the destroyed base camp for more.
- Annie turns out to be a lapsed Catholic with an impressive knowledge of prayers. This leads to a theological discussion.
- Biljan acts crazy and evil (again). His threats against Irene land him in solitary confinement for awhile. This ends when the man blackmails Esther into setting him loose.
- In an effort to get food and other useful things, Neeko and Esther work to get the magic box open. Esther succeeds with her funky key and the group gains: rice, sleeping pills, a book called “The Idiot,” a fire extinguisher, vodka, chocolate and matches.
- Vodka gets poured on Irene and drunk by the others. They figure the trekkers are dead by now.
- The next morning, everyone has a crazy hangover, and Irene has gone missing. Biljan is gone too. As are the sleeping pills …
On the road
Even before the snow falls, the trip out to the radio tower (or whatever) isn’t going so well. They find the remains of the “Siberia” helicopter. There are many small pieces — but no bodies.
Then it snows. A big river is in the way. Sam takes a fall and is injured — he nearly freezes to death with Daniel while Johnny and Joyce search for shelter.
They keep pushing on, since there’s no point in going back and the beacon is probably closer anyway.
Sam has frostbite, but that’s the worst situation so far.
Burning questions about “Siberia”
Some things are confusing. Some things just don’t make sense. The important questions are:
- What are the cameramen eating?
- Why didn’t anyone think to spoon for warmth at any point?
- Is it strange that no one has asked about Natalie’s middle-of-the-night disappearance just before everything went nuts?
- What exactly does Biljan have on Esther?
- What kind of Russian cameraman passes up the chance at vodka?