Drummer and founding member of the band Slayer, Dave Lombardo, has been removed from the band’s Australian tour, according to a statement he released on Facebook. Lombardo is one of four who founded the thrash metal band in 1981.
Lombardo was let go from the band after questioning where tour income was going. “I spent the Christmas and New Year holidays realizing I had toured all over the world in 2012,” he writes “but yet, had not been paid (except a small advance) or provided a proper accounting for a full year’s sweat and blood.” He goes on to mention that he was told he wouldn’t be paid until he signed a contract that didn’t stipulate how much would money be deducted for management commissions.
“Last year,” he says, “I discovered 90% of Slayer’s tour income was being deducted as expenses including the professional fees paid to management, costing the band millions of dollars and leaving 10% or less to split amongst the four of us.” When he hired an auditor to find out where the money was going, Lombardo claims he was denied access to detailed information and necessary documents.
Lombardo says his next step was to sit down with two other founding members, Tom Araya and Kerry King, February 11. When he proposed a new business model, that he felt would better protect the band, King shut him down. “Kerry made it clear he wasn’t interested in making changes and said if I wanted to argue the point, he would find another drummer,” Lombardo writes. When he arrived that Thursday, February 14, for rehearsals, he received an email from the band’s legal team telling him he was being replaced on the remaining tour dates.
Lombardo is apologetic to the fans who paid to see the shows, but remains hopeful that the issues can be worked out, allowing him to return to the band.