“The League” cast and creators were on hand for a 2014 summer TCA press tour panel with some wonderful bon mots (some true, some not) about the upcoming sixth season on FXX. Here are the highlights from a few promos and the panel discussion:
- In a promo, Andre is sporting some duds from “the Criss Angel collection.”
- “And that was the most I ever threw up. Shampoo is not a food. Smells like coconut, does not taste like coconut.” — Taco
- “I will not apologize, that’s why doors have locks.” — Kevin
- “PRACTICE?! PRACTICE?!” — Pete, channeling Jim Mora.
- “Yes, it’s a prequel season. Yes, there are vampires. Yes, there is time-traveling.” — Paul Scheer, on Season 6.
- “We’d love to have some ‘FNL,’ some ‘Friday Night Lights’ crossover.
The characters. I’d love to get Riggins,” says Scheer, to which
Katie Aselton chimes in, “So would I. So would I.”
- “We are going to have Christopher Plummer and Judi Dench.” — Mark Duplass
In all seriousness, showrunner Jeff Schaffer does say that this season will address some current NFL issues, like HGH testing, which is “going to hit fairly close to home with Ruxin,” and the bullying scandal.
He also tells Zap2it that the show will address first gay NFL player Michael Sam. “We are going to address that in a way also,” says Schaffer. “There will be another member of the league … the league will get a new member who definitely has some sexual variance. We will touch on that.”
“The League” returns fall 2014 to FXX.