If there’s one thing we can count on in this world, it’s this: when new “Vampire Diaries” episodes hit the Zap2it mailroom, we will stop everything we’re doing and watch. Priorities are important in life, okay? The CW generously hooked us up with the first two episodes of Season 4 today, titled “Growing Pains” and “Memorial” and though producers gave us very specific guidelines about what we can’t reveal, we do have some things we’re allowed to give away. You’ve been warned, though — there are spoilers here!
First, we’ll tell you about what fans of the love triangle can look forward to — and then we’ll give you six more tiny tidbits that will get you through the next nine days before the premiere.
Expect some seriously sexy Stelena stuff. Obviously, there’s their usual sweet romance, and the symbolism of Stefan putting the daylight ring on Elena’s finger when they could now literally spend eternity together isn’t lost. But holy moly, it’s been a few years since we’ve seen a really hot, charged, sparks-flying-everywhere type of scene between Stefan and Elena — and Stelena fans will finally get their kicks again in episode 2.
Unfortunately, the dirty-hot-wall-slamming-vampire-sexiness doesn’t end the way that it should. (It ends with vomit, guys. Bloody vomit. So much of it. You’ve been warned. About all the bloody vomit.)
And then there’s Damon, who is… still feeling pretty bitter about Elena’s choice in the Season 3 finale, but he’s determined to be her friend anyway. Of course, their relationship grows increasingly complicated after she remembers meeting Damon first and his kind words to her (on two separate occasions). Delena fans will love watching the way the memories come back to her — you’ll get to relive a great moment from a fresh perspective. And yes, Elena does drink Damon’s blood after Stefan’s bunny diet doesn’t agree with her tummy… and let’s just say it really hits the spot.
In a lot of ways, it feels like the love triangle is being relaunched. Instead of rehashing the old I-don’t-know-how-I-feel stuff, Elena’s new “condition” leads to new problems and new connections between her and the Salvatore boys.
With that out of the way, let’s talk about five more things you can look forward to that have nothing to do with the central love triangle!
1. Elena as a vampire is crippled by her compassion. Given Mystic Falls’ tendency to be a constant bloodbath, the fact that Elena can now literally feel other peoples’ grief is a huge problem. As usual, though, she wants to convince everyone that she’s fine, and bottling up all that heightened emotion has a profound effect on her.
2. Bonnie is awesome. In a lot of ways, she gets to be the hero of the first episode. While nearly everyone else is getting kicked around by the council (who are much smarter than we expected), Bonnie is proactive, powerful, and pivotal. She decides to kill herself — at least, temporarily — to bring Elena back from the dead. What happens after that has a profound effect on her. Kat Graham is a real standout in the premiere episode, and in the second episode, she lets someone into her house who hasn’t come in before. And it’s great.
3. A surprise appearance! We’re obviously not going to tell you who, because we kinda like this job, but someone we thought we’d seen the last of comes back in one of the first two episodes.
4. Klaus-slash-Tyler is fantastic. Yes, we all love Joseph Morgan, and he’ll obviously be back — but in the meantime, don’t forget to enjoy Michael Trevino’s work as Klaus, because it’s really well done and just darn fun to watch. (By the way, Klaus and Caroline do get pretty hot and heavy — briefly — while he’s in Tyler’s body, but to Klaus’s credit, he absolutely does try to tell Caroline before she full-on mouth-attacks him.) Later, when Tyler has his body back, we see a really heroic moment from him that’s been building for a long time. As for Klaus, the first thing he does when he’s back in his own body is break someone’s heart pretty brutally.
5. We presume Jeremy can still see dead people — but that’s not the only thing he can see that other people can’t. Hmmm.
6. It’s been teased that Damon will confide in an “unexpected friend” in the second episode — and he will. But obviously, he’s not replacing Alaric easily. He even makes Elena choose a different chair when she tries to sit in Alaric’s old seat at the Mystic Grill bar.
Tune in Oct. 11 at 8 p.m. to see it all go down. But we didn’t need to tell you that, right?