Savannah Guthrie is leaving “Today” for a few months to be at home with her new baby, who is due later this month. Monday (Aug. 11) was her last day and to celebrate, the whole “Today” crew threw her a baby shower — with some special surprises.
A whole slew of famous ladies gave Savannah their sage advice, including:
- “People tell you, ‘Oh, oh, it gets better.’ No, it doesn’t! It doesn’t get better, it just gets different.” — Wanda Sykes
- “Being a mother is really, really hard. And it’s OK that it’s hard.” — Debra Messing
- “You cannot break the baby. They’re durable. They bounce. Just relax, feed and love it and you’re home free.” — Alfre Woodward.
- “Buy a crockpot because you will not have time to make dinner in the evening for the next six and a half years.” — Julia Roberts
- “If you nurse — you don’t have to, but if you do — the Medela In Style pump and the hands-free bra, what’s up?” — Maya Rudolph
- “Here’s something no one’s gonna tell you: After you have that baby, so much weird stuff happens to your boobs. It’s a horror show. Enjoy it!” — Tina Fey
Guthrie also thanked her fans in her latest “Today” blog before maternity leave, writing, “One of the most surprising and heartening aspects of going on this journey in such a public way was the real love and support I experienced from this amazing community of ‘Today’ viewers. I want you to know I felt every hug and treasured every moment of kindness. … I take none of it for granted. God has blessed me beyond measure. At 42 years old, I had every reason to think I may have missed my chance. I don’t know why things worked out as they did. But there is only one possible response: to be full of gratitude and praise, and to point to the source of this incredible blessing. I send a big hug to all of you …. and I promise to share any baby news on ‘Today’ in the coming days!”