Although NBC refused to apologize for airing an interview with Kris Jenner instead of observing a moment of silence honoring the victims of the Sept. 11 attacks, NBC News president Steve Capus did — sort of — in a memo to affiliate executives, reports the New York Times.
“Yesterday, we made an editorial call resulting in the Sept, 11 moment of silence not being seen,” Capus reportedly told NBC Affiliate Corporation Group executives. “While we dedicated a substantial amount of airtime to anniversary events, we still touched a nerve with many of your viewers…and for that we apologize.”
While the other networks broke from their programming at 8:48 a.m., the moment the first plane hit the World Trade Center, “Today” was the only network program that did not break from its programming
What viewers saw instead was the “Keeping Up With the Kardashians” reality mom discussing her breast implants.
NBC spokesperson Megan Kopf said Tuesday that “Today” had only observed the moment of silence once since 2006 — last year on the 10th anniversary of the attacks.
Capus maintained the network’s public position in his memo, an executive emphasized to the New York Times, merely apologizing for the heavy criticism the affiliates were subjected to from their viewership.
Do you believe the backlash was fair? Should the network have issued a public mea culpa?