Bravo is expanding the “Top Chef” franchise again, this time with a series of “Iron Chef”-like, one-on-one battles it’s calling “Top Chef Duels.”
The 10-episode series, which premieres Aug. 6, will feature some of the most recognizable contestants from both “Top Chef” and “Top Chef Masters.” Two chefs will go head-to-head in creating a three-course meal — with some typical “Top Chef” twists — for judges Gail Simmons and Curtis Stone (who’s also the host) and a rotating group of guest judges that includes chefs Wolfgang Puck and Hugh Acheson, Shailene Woodley, the cast of “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” and more.
The nine winning chefs will then compete in a final battle for a $100,000 prize. They’ll be joined by one losing chef who survives “The Knockout,” a second-chance digital series (a la “Last Chance Kitchen”) hosted by Puck.
Here are the matchups, designed for maximum drama:
- Episode 1: Richard Blais (Chicago, All-Stars) vs. Marcel Vigneron (Season 2, All-Stars)
- Episode 2: Shirley Chung (New Orleans) vs. Brooke Williamson (Seattle)
- Episode 3: Mike Isabella (Las Vegas, All-Stars) vs. Antonia Lofaso (Chicago)
- Episode 4: CJ Jacobsen (Miami, Seattle) vs. Stefan Richter (New York, Seattle)
- Episode 5: David Burke (“Masters” Season 5) vs. Takashi Yagihashi (“Masters” Season 4)
- Episode 6: Tiffani Faison (Season 1, All-Stars) vs. Dale Talde (Chicago, All-Stars)
- Episode 7: Nyesha Arrington (Texas) vs. Jen Carroll (Las Vegas, All-Stars)
- Episode 8: Stephanie Izard (Chicago) vs. Kristen Kish (Seattle)
- Episode 9: Kevin Gillespie (Las Vegas) vs. Art Smith (“Masters” Season 1)
- Episode 10: Championship
And here’s a taste of what the competition will be like: