TV news and notes:
– Syfy is tackling Terry Gilliam’s 1995 sci-fi film “12 Monkeys.” The network has given a 12-episode series order to an adaptation of the movie after a pilot was ordered in 2013. The show will be written and co-executive produced by Terry Matalas and Travis Fickett. Aaron Stanford, Kirk Acevedo, Noah Bean and Amanda Schull star. “12 Monkeys” will premiere in January 2015.
– FOX is bringing back “Temptation Island” … with a “Wife Swap” twist. The network is reportedly in talks for a pilot order of “Couples Retreat,” a reality show aimed at helping struggling couples with a questionable method: “Each agree to go on a fantasy weekend with the opposite-gender partner of a similarly matched couple.” No word yet on how splitting up couples for a fantasy weekend would actually help keep then together … [Deadline]
– “Homeland” Season 4 is heading to new places, both in terms of its story and in terms of its location. Showtime announced filming on the new season will begin mid-June in Cape Town, South Africa. Filming will continue into November. A brief tease of the new season says that Season 4 will find Carrie Mathison “assigned to one of the most volatile and dangerous CIA stations in the Middle East where she is back on the front lines in the war on terror.”
– AMC’s “Turn”
has a snazzy new theme song. Joy Williams from The Civil Wars and Matt
Berninger of The National created the song “Hush” for “Turn’s” opening
credits, which you can watch below:
– ABC has tweaked its summer schedule a little bit, moving up the premiere of “Rookie Blue”
from July 17 to June 19 and pushing back the new competition series “The Quest”
from June 19 to July 31. The network will also premiere “Sing Your Face Off” — a competition in which celebrities are made up and have to perform as different iconic singers each week — on Saturday, May 31.
– Tom Hardy has joined the BBC miniseries “Taboo.” The eight-episode series will be produced by Ridley Scott and written by Hardy’s “Locke” writer/director Steven Knight. A synopsis reads: “Set in 1813, the story follows James Keziah Delaney (Hardy), a rogue adventurer who returns from Africa with 14 ill-gotten diamonds to seek vengeance after the death of his father. Refusing to sell the family business to the East India Company, he sets out to build his own trade and shipping empire and finds himself playing a dangerous game with two warring nations, Britain and America.” “Taboo” will begin production in January 2015.