TV news and notes:
– FX has canceled “Legit”
Neither will be renewed for new seasons in 2015 (“Legit” aired on FXX, “Chozen” on FX). “Chozen” concluded its first season, and “Legit” concluded its second.
– “Manhattan,” the second original series from WGN America, has a premiere date. The drama about the scientists working on the top-secret Manhattan Project during World War II, starring John Benjamin Hickey and Olivia Williams, will debut at 10 p.m. ET/9 CT July 27. (WGN America is owned by Zap2it‘s parent, Tribune Company.)
– FOX has moved the premiere of “I Wanna Marry Harry” up a week from May 27 to May 20. The show will now debut after the final performances on “American Idol” on Tuesday. Improv-comedy show “Riot,” which had a soft premiere this week, returns May 27.
– Ludacris is set to host the 2014 Billboard Music Awards
. ABC announced that the rapper/”Fast and Furious” actor will host the show, airing live on Sunday (May 18) at 8 p.m. ET/PT, as well as new presenters Chrissy Teigen, Danica McKeller, Jack Antonoff, Josh Groban, Lucy Hale, Omar Epps, Phillip Phillips, Sarah Hyland, Shania Twain and “The Bachelorette’s” Andy Dorfman.
– Meanwhile, Robin Thicke will be one of the many performers at the 2014 Billboard Music Awards. He joins 5 Seconds of Summer, Ariana Grande, Florida Georgia Line, Iggy Azalea, Imagine Dragons, Jason Derulo, Jennifer Lopez, John Legend, Katy Perry, Lorde, Luke Bryan, Miley Cyrus, Miranda Lambert and Carrie Underwood, OneRepublic, Pitbull, Ricky Martin and Shakira performing at the awards show.
– VH1 has ordered a documentary series under the working title “TransAmerica” to premiere in late 2014 or early 2015. Produced by Tyra Banks and Gay Rosenthal, “TransAmerica” follows the lives of a group of transgender women in Chicago. “‘TransAmerica’ is a groundbreaking docuseries that will blow the roof off stereotypes and set the record straight as we experience the lives of these fun, stunning women,” Banks says in a statement. “I am so happy to be a part of telling their fierce story.”
– “Switched at Birth”
star Gilles Marini is making a jump to “Devious Maids,”
for a guest appearance on that show’s July 13 season finale. There are no details on his role yet, but Marini will be acting opposite Roselyn Sanchez on the Lifetime series. [TV Guide
– T.R. Knight has joined the Amazon pilot “Hysteria.” The “Grey’s Anatomy” vet is set to star opposite Mena Suvari in the drama about a mysterious epidemic spreading among high school girls in Austin that might be caused by technology. Knight will play Suvari’s character’s brother Carter James Harlow, a death row inmate who thinks the current epidemic is the same thing that landed him in prison 25 years ago. [Deadline]