Winningham (“Hatfields & McCoys,” “Mildred Pierce”) will play a character named Agatha in the CBS series, which launched to strong ratings last week. The character, who is not in Stephen King‘s source novel, is the caretaker for a house in Chester’s Mill who invites Big Jim (Dean Norris) over for a visit. Her intentions, however, are not exactly neighborly.
“Under the Dome” executive producer Neal Baer calls Winningham his “good-luck charm,” having worked with her previously on “ER” and “Law & Order: SVU.” She earned an Emmy nomination for her guest role on “SVU” in the 2003-04 season.
More TV news and notes:
– Jenna Elfman has officially joined the cast of NBC’s midseason comedy “Growing Up Fisher.” The “1600 Penn” star had been in talks to take over the role Parker Posey played in the show’s pilot, and a deal is now done. [TVLine]
– Another NBC comedy project, this one starring “The Office’s” Craig Robinson, is getting a second chance after being passed over at May’s upfronts. The show, in which Robinson plays a middle-school music teacher, has received an order for three more scripts and has extended the contract options on its cast. [Deadline]
– Speaking of passed-over NBC pilots: FOX has grabbed the rights to a show starring comedian and “Saturday Night Live” writer John Mulaney and asked for a script rewrite. If the network likes what it sees, the show could get a straight-to-series order for six episodes. [Deadline]
– As a tribute to the late James Gandolfini, HBO will offer up the entirety of “The Sopranos” on demand in the coming months. Each season will be available for one month, starting with Season 1 on Monday (July 1). Additionally, HBO will re-air “Alive Day Memories,” a documentary about wounded Iraq war veterans that Gandolfini produced, at 7 p.m. ET July 4.
– ABC Family’s “Switched at Birth” will welcome Joey Lauren Adams (“United States of Tara,” “Chasing Amy”) for a pair of episodes in August. She’ll play Nikki’s (Cassi Thompson) mother; her first episode airs Aug. 5. [TVLine]