Doctors remove 37 Buckyballs from toddler's stomach

buckyballs.jpgIt turns out that Buckyballs, the magnetic "high-powered" magnets that are sold in brightly-colored block-shaped packages, are not kids toys. That's what one Portland, Ore. toddler learned after she downed 37 of the magnets then started experiencing stomach pains.

Before doctors were able to remove the Buckyballs, the magnets had torn holes in 3-year-old Payton Bushnell's lower intestine and stomach. She's expected to fully recover.

But, according to the Los Angeles Times, this isn't the first Buckyball close call. In 2011, a California child reportedly required surgery after swallowing eight of the magnets.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission also reports 22 incidents involving magnets and children in the past two years. Apparently kids like to use the round shiny magnets to mimic tongue piercings.
Photo/Video credit: KING 5
SHARE IT ON: