'Crazy Ones' books 'Mork and Mindy' reunion; Eliza Coupe returns to TV with 'Benched' and more
- USA has picked up a legal comedy, "Benched," starring Eliza Coupe ( "Happy Endings") and Jay Harrington ( "Better Off Ted"). The show will follow Nina (Coupe), a corporate attorney, who suffers a public breakdown and ends up working as a public defender. Phil (Harrington) is her scruffy, gambling colleague. "Benched" will be executive-produced by Michaela Watkins, Damon Jones, John Enbom, Mark Gordon and Andrea Shay.
- AMC's Revolutionary War-era spy thriller "Turn" has found its George Washington. "Dawson's Creek" alum Ian Kahn will play the Founding Father in the series, which centers on Jamie Bell's Abraham Woodhull, a New York cabbage farmer who forms a group of spies in the summer of 1778, helping America in its fight for independence in the process. Kahn, as a pre-President Washington, will recur throughout Season 1, with an option to be series regular in Season 2. [ TVLine]
- "24: Live Another Day" has filled out another high-profile role. Stephen Fry joins the FOX event series British Prime Minister Trevor Davies, a strong and charismatic leader whose personal and political crises place pressure on both his friendship with President Heller ( William Devane) and the Anglo-American alliance, itself. The next chapter in the "24" franchise, which premieres May 5, picks up four years after the series finale with Jack Bauer ( Kiefer Sutherland) a fugitive in London. [ Deadline]
- "The Comedians," Billy Crystal's FX pilot, continues to flesh out its cast. The comedy, which co-stars Josh Gad and revolves around a superstar veteran comedian (Crystal) who is reluctantly paired with a younger, edgier comedian (Gad) for a late-night comedy sketch show, has added Matt Oberg ("30 Rock"), Stephanie Weir ("MadTV") and Megan Ferguson ("Mad Men") to its ranks. Oberg will play Mitch, the sketch show's head writer, while Weir is set as Kristen, the show's anxiety-stricken producer. Ferguson will play Esme, a no-nonsense PA. [ THR]
- FX is expanding its comedy roster, picking up "Married" and "You're the Worst" to series. "Married" stars Nat Faxon and Judy Greer as Russ and Lina Bowman, respectively, who get along great in every room -- except the bedroom. The show will examine the lengths two best friends are willing to go in order to save their marriage. "You're the Worst," from "Weeds" scribe Stephan Falk, is a love story about what happens when two toxic, self-destructive people fall in love despite themselves and attempt the impossible -- a relationship. Chris Geere ("The Spa") and Aya Cash ("The Wolf of Wall Street") star. Both 10-episode first seasons will premiere in July.