We had sensed in early interviews about her new series, "Body of Proof," that Dana Delany had some reason to leave "Desperate Housewives" other than purely to take a chance on carrying a series as its lead role. Now, she tells us that there was.
"Well, the way it was presented to me by Steve McPherson who was the head of ABC at the time," Delany tells Zap2it. "He kind of intimated that I may not be on 'Desperate Housewives' much longer. I don't know if that's true or not, but it was sort of dangled over my head."
Last year, we had asked "Desperate Housewives" executive producer, Bob Daily, whether she left the show, because she was actively looking for another opportunity. He told us that creator Marc Cherry let her know that if she took the pilot she was always welcome back if her series didn't get picked up. Apparently, that was just part of the story.
"I'm not dumb," she tells us. "I can see the handwriting on the wall. And why not try something new? They were pretty much offering me this show that was an interesting character. You know, I like shaking things up."
"I did love being on 'Desperate Housewives,'" she adds. "I had a ball there."
Despite how it was offered to her, fans can't blame the Emmy winner for leaving for her own series on the network. But "Desperate" fans do have some unanswered questions about Katherine's storyline and Delany would love to give it to them.
"I hope so," she tells us after we ask if there are any plans to return to Wisteria for a guest appearance.
"I personally would like to know what happened to Katherine and Robin [played by Julie Benz]," she says. "I'd like to know whether their romance stuck and whether they had a good time in Paris. I would love to come back even just for one shot to find out."
"Body of Proof" premieres Tuesday, March 29 at 10 p.m. ET on ABC
Photo/Video credit: ABC
SHARE IT ON: