Mark Wahlberg on Boston Marathon attack: I'm just trying to 'put on a brave face'

mark-wahlberg-boston-marathon-responds-gi.jpg

Mark Wahlberg, a born and bred Bostonian, commented on the attack at the Boston Marathon on April 15 that shocked the nation. He had been in New York to promote his new movie "Pain & Gain" at a screening, and admitted to reporters there that he hadn't wanted to attend.

"I really didn't even want to come tonight. I hadn't really heard much -- I spoke to my mom, and most of my family seems to be OK," he says. "It's such a big event, there's so many people there. It's horrible man. It's disgusting, man. I just -- I'm very upset. ... You try to put everything in God's hands and whatever happens here is out of our control and there's a bigger picture. But it's still obviously upsetting."

In a separate interview with People, Wahlberg says, "Obviously I've got a huge family and so many family and friends back in Boston. I don't know what exactly happened, and I don't know if everyone's okay. I'm just trying to be here [at the screening] and put on a brave face and just be a professional. ... The world obviously needs to change. If you think about all the events over the last couple years, if we can't protect our innocent women and children, then we have a serious problem."

Wahlberg wasn't the only Boston-born celebrity to share his condolences with his home city. Ben Affleck tweets, "Such a senseless and tragic day. My family and I send our love to our beloved and resilient Boston."

Meanwhile New Kids on the Block's Joey McIntyre, who ran in the marathon, writes, "There was an explosion by the finish line about 5 minutes after I finished- I'm ok but I'm sure there are many hurt. I don't know what to say. I feel for everybody involved with the Boston Marathon. My family is ok. I am ok. Gonna take a while to process."

Craig Ferguson, Ellen DeGeneres and Patton Oswalt also shared touching tributes to those affected by the tragedy.

Photo/Video credit: Getty Images
SHARE IT ON: