Marvel adds two secret movies to Disney's release schedule
At this point, Marvel's parent company Disney is really just claiming the release dates -- May 6, 2016 and May 5, 2017, the traditional first weekend of summer movie season -- to let rivals know they've got something coming. Could it be more "Iron Man"? A "Guardians of the Galaxy" sequel? An Incredible Hulk solo movie? A brand new property?
We don't know. But Disney wants the dates.
It's also unclear if staking claim to just one release date per year means Marvel plans to slow its pace a bit and drop back to a single release annually. Marvel Studios is currently on a two-movie-per-year schedule with "Iron Man 3" and "Thor: The Dark World" this year, "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" and "Guardians of the Galaxy" next year and "The Avengers" sequel and "Ant-Man" set for 2015.
The vague announcement was accompanied by release date news for several other Disney projects:
- "Saving Mr. Banks" starring Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson will open in limited release on Dec. 13 of this year, followed by its previously scheduled wide release on Dec. 20. The potential Oscar contender is based on the true story of how "Mary Poppins" made it to the screen.
- The sequel to 2011's "The Muppets" is now titled "Muppets Most Wanted" and retains its March 21, 2014 release date.
- "Planes" sequel "Planes: Fire & Rescue" will open July 18, 2014 in 3D. (The first "Planes," a sorta spinoff of "Cars," opens in August.)
- "The Hundred-Foot Journey" produced by Steven Spielberg and Oprah Winfrey, based on the book by Richard C. Morais, opens August 8, 2014.
- Children's book adaptation "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day" starring Steve Carell and Jennifer Garner opens Oct. 10, 2014.
- Live action adventure "Tomorrowland" starring George Clooney and Hugh Laurie and directed by Brad Bird ("Ratatouille," "Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol") opens Dec. 12, 2014.
- Broadway musical adaptation "Into the Woods" -- likely starring Johnny Depp and Meryl Streep (though they're not 100% official yet) -- opens Dec. 25, 2014.