Robert Downey Jr. confirmed for 'The Avengers 2' and '3' by Marvel

robert-downey-jr-the-avengers-2-3-marvel.jpg

Marvel Studios officially set many fans' fears to rest: Robert Downey Jr. will indeed be returning for "The Avengers 2" and "The Avengers 3." Though no new "Iron Man" movies may come out any time soon, the actor signed a deal with Marvel that means he will don the Iron Man suit at least twice more.

The announcement was made in a blog post on Marvel's website. It promises that "The Avengers 2" will feature "favorites from the first Avengers film and new Marvel characters never before seen on the big screen."

Joss Whedon is writing and directing "The Avengers 2," and previously said he expected RDJ to sign on board the project. "He is Iron Man," Whedon said. "He is Iron Man in the way that Sean Connery was James Bond. I have no intention of making 'Avengers 2' without him, nor do I think I'll be called upon to do that. I don't think it's in my interest, Marvel's interest, or his interest, and I think everything will be fine."

"The Avengers 2" is due in theaters on May 1, 2015, while "The Avengers 3" does not yet have a release date.

Photo/Video credit: Marvel Studios
SHARE IT ON: