'The Tomorrow People': Greg Berlanti and Julie Plec bring sci-fi to The CW
Produced by Greg Berlanti ( "Arrow," "Smallville"), Julie Plec ( "The Vampire Diaries," "The Originals") and Phil Klemmer, this update of a '70s British cult show stars Robbie Amell (cousin of "Arrow" star Stephen Amell) as one of a group of young adults who represent the next stage in human evolution.
Think "X-Men." Only without the silly costumes.
The "Tomorrow People" panel featured, in addition to the producers and Amell, stars Luke Mitchell, Peyton List, Mark Pellegrino, Madeleine Mantock and Aaron Yoo.
Much like the series upon which "The Tomorrow People" is based, the titular heroes are people who have evolved to have powers like telekinesis, telepathy and teleportation -- don't worry, they make fun of the "three Ts" repeatedly.
Steven Jamison (Amell) begins the show as a brand-new Tomorrow Person and soon finds out about a war between his people and a group called Ultra. They chase each other around a lot, often for nefarious purposes.
A passion project for Berlanti and Plec, who both watched the original "Tomorrow People" on Nickelodeon reruns in the 1980s, the show looks much better than anything from four decades ago. The producers cite good effects coordinators as well as focusing on superpowers -- especially the telepathy and teleportation -- that are cheap to show on TV.
Paired with "Arrow" in the fall, "The Tomorrow People" will premiere on Oct. 9, 2013.
Quotes and other fun stuff from the panel:
- "Greg helped me get my Green Card!" - Robbie Amell on Greg Berlanti
- "Julie and I have been talking about this show since we were in college." - Berlanti on the origins of "The Tomorrow People"
- The original Jedekiah (Pellegrino's character on the new show) "literally twirled his mustache" in the '70s show.
- "I consider myself the hero of this story right now! From the first scene." - Mark Pellegrino (he is not the hero)
- "I kind of had an instant girl-crush." - Julie Plec on Peyton List
- Julie Plec, the head of two other current series, will not be involved with the day-to-day production.
- "I haven't been break-dancing in a long time ..." - Robbie Amell
- "I don't take it anymore, because if I get punched in the face, I get in trouble." - Amell on muay thai