'The X Factor' canceled by FOX, Simon Cowell returning to U.K. show

x-factor-canceled-fox.jpgFOX has canceled "The X Factor" after three seasons, and its creator is headed home to the U.K.

The network made the announcement late Friday afternoon (Feb. 7), a few hours after ITV announced Simon Cowell, who created the singing competition, would return to the British "X Factor" as a judge in the fall.

"I've had a fantastic time over the last 12 years, both on 'The X Factor' and 'American Idol,'" Cowell says. "And apart from being lucky enough to find some amazing talent on the shows, I have always had an incredible welcome from the American public (most of the time!).

"Last year, for a number of reasons, I had to make a decision to return to the U.K. version of 'The X Factor' in 2014. So for now, I'm back to the U.K. and I want to thank FOX for being an incredible partner, and I also want to thank everybody who has supported my shows. America, I'll see you soon."

In an earlier release from ITV, Cowell says he's "absolutely thrilled" to return to the British "X Factor," which last had him as a judge in 2010. Both the U.K. and U.S. shows have suffered declining ratings in the past couple of years. Season 3 of the FOX series was down significantly from the previous year.

FOX has also been aggressive in its development slate for the 2014-15 season, with a number of series either already picked up or on their way there. With those options plus whatever shows the network decides to bring back, it may not need "The X Factor" that much anymore.
Photo/Video credit: FOX
SHARE IT ON: